Topic: Facebook Dries up That Quickly?

I really believe in the local lead business. I have a client (dentist) and started running ads for him on Facebook. I got everything sorted out with pricing and estimates and for the first 2 days, I was good at 100% ROI. Then, terrible. Today, and later in the afternoon, I got barely any leads. My CPC's are dropping with testing but can my leads in the area really have dried up already? I am still getting a good amount of clicks.

Also, I tried adwords, and it says my QS is good and everything, and my bids are high enough, but ZERO impressions. Don't know what to do on that front. So far just focusing on facebook i guess. Any help is apprecaited!

Re: Facebook Dries up That Quickly?

When you set up ad targeting on facebook how many people does facebook show are matching your targeting criteria?

Facebook marketing requires a steady update of your ads and images to succeed. People get banner blind really fast.

Keep in mind that you may need to day part the campaign too. Run it long enough to get a good amount of data and then decide if that will help.

Also, I've ran campaigns on FB for 6 months + with very similar creatives, I just had to either rotate the creatives in and out, or pause it for a few days or a week. New people are always signing up and they also forget about the images when they are gone for awhile, so keep that in mind too.

there are 400k+ people in my target region.

i am still getting clicks, and getting better CTR as i improve my ads...but less and less people sign up. i am thinking maybe it is because i am switching my ads TOO much...and the same people are clicking over and over. very frustrating.

also, my CPC's are around 70 cents +....i use to get clicks for .20 when i was running affiliate offers a couple months ago...is it possible fb just charges more for clicks now? have people switched from CPM (which use to be better before they said they would be delivering less clicks) to CPC?

Last edited by localleadkiller (2010-05-07 09:10:20)

It's hard to say why you are paying more now. Has the demographic that you are targeting changed at all? How has the CTR been compared to before?

It could also be from the announcement by FB saying that CPM will get your ad seen less now. Some people may have switched to CPC which would raise bid costs.

my demo has not changed. im getting the same amount of clicks. regardless of paying more, i am quickly getting less and less conversions. is this normal? same amount of clicks, 100% ROI to about 0% ROI within 1 day.

How much data are you going off of? If you ran it for 1 day, or one week, you couldn't have possible figured out what your averages are with so little data. You could have just got lucky with the leads in the beginning.

good point. are people still using CPM bidding to get cheaper clicks...or have most switched to CPC after they said CPM bidding would start to get less and less clicks.

for this reason, does it make sense to setup google voice and put a phone # directly in the ad copy and track phone calls?

CPM or CPC?

I just don't get it, no one is filling out their info now...is it possible I just got extremely lucky for the first 9 leads??? That doesn't seem likely. What do I do when nothing seems to be working?

It's possible you just got lucky. Sometimes conversions will come all at once and then trickle in. How much data are you looking at?  How many clicks have you had since you started and how many leads?

If it's not working, it may just not work well for you on facebook. Have you made sure that the lead form is working?

Ghazz wrote:

It's possible you just got lucky. Sometimes conversions will come all at once and then trickle in. How much data are you looking at?  How many clicks have you had since you started and how many leads?

If it's not working, it may just not work well for you on facebook. Have you made sure that the lead form is working?

yes i tested it, and double tested it. i've 150 or clicks since that first day...and nothing...today i spent close to $40 on 50+ clicks and not a single sign up. i just dont see how its possible to do well one day and then drop to nothing. i mean...people click the ad so they are definitely interested in the service...so why dont they give up their info?

That's something you are going to need to find out. Do you want to share your ad copy and/or landing page so we can take a look? It's hard to say without looking.

I'd test some more, change your ad copy, change your landing page copy, split test some things. But again, it's hard to say without having seen either one.

Regarding the adWords question, sometimes it just takes Google to start running your ad. I have had campaigns that took a week before they started to get going. Sometimes, increasing the bid price or budget will get it going faster but even then it could take some time.

From my experience with Facebook, the quality of traffic is always terrible. I know the new rules have changed the game a bit. I always had to try and get a huge amount of clicks before it converted which is why CPM was used. So, Facebook brings lots of traffic but it is terrible quality compared to other sources.

IceNine wrote:

Regarding the adWords question, sometimes it just takes Google to start running your ad. I have had campaigns that took a week before they started to get going. Sometimes, increasing the bid price or budget will get it going faster but even then it could take some time.

From my experience with Facebook, the quality of traffic is always terrible. I know the new rules have changed the game a bit. I always had to try and get a huge amount of clicks before it converted which is why CPM was used. So, Facebook brings lots of traffic but it is terrible quality compared to other sources.

This really depends on the niche and the offer. I've made a lot of money with things that convert really well on Facebook. It all depends on what you are running.

It's hard to say what happened, but this is not an uncommon phenomenon both for LLG and regular affiliate offers.  A lot of times you will see great results, then nothing.  The problem is those great results at first cause you to keep chasing the bad results longer than you should because "it worked at first"  Frustrating for sure.  Try to dig into the reports more for that time when it was converting.  See if you can find any data about which demos in FB were working.  Get on the phone with a Facebook account manager.  Also keep in mind that your data set is too small to be statistically significant so it very well could have been luck with the first leads.

chad wrote:

It's hard to say what happened, but this is not an uncommon phenomenon both for LLG and regular affiliate offers.  A lot of times you will see great results, then nothing.  The problem is those great results at first cause you to keep chasing the bad results longer than you should because "it worked at first"  Frustrating for sure.  Try to dig into the reports more for that time when it was converting.  See if you can find any data about which demos in FB were working.  Get on the phone with a Facebook account manager.  Also keep in mind that your data set is too small to be statistically significant so it very well could have been luck with the first leads.

i guess i just got lucky then...just doesn't make sense to me. people are still clicking just as much on my ads...do people really read my ad, click on it...and not a single person actually reads what the ad is about? i mean they see its about dentist work...why click if they aren't interested.

My dentist campaign got no clicks from FB yet..targeting is around 50k...

can you share your demo target setting?  I am targeting 35-60 yrs old men and women with 10 mile around my city which gives around 50k users.

I got 1 clicks from Adwords which is around $5 per click..

jspmedia wrote:

My dentist campaign got no clicks from FB yet..targeting is around 50k...

can you share your demo target setting?  I am targeting 35-60 yrs old men and women with 10 mile around my city which gives around 50k users.

I got 1 clicks from Adwords which is around $5 per click..

What is the population of the city the dentists office is in?

Around 200K People..in 10 mile radius..

jspmedia wrote:

Around 200K People..in 10 mile radius..

It could be your ad, care to share your copy?

very general

Dentist name
then general information with phone number at the end

with general female picture for FB...

jspmedia wrote:

very general

Dentist name
then general information with phone number at the end

with general female picture for FB...

Is there a service of theirs you can try and promote, so its more targeted? Such as teeth whitening?

I am trying to promote Dental Implants addition to General service..I am running with Need Dental Implants?

Ghazz wrote:

This really depends on the niche and the offer. I've made a lot of money with things that convert really well on Facebook. It all depends on what you are running.

That is just my experience with Facebook but I didn't get too diversified with it though.

jspmedia wrote:

I got 1 clicks from Adwords which is around $5 per click...

Wow, that is a lot per click. I have never gotten my click price over 1.50 before. I have heard of higher but I was expecting for local offers that it would stay under $1 no matter the location.

*Just read in another post that they were paying $10 per click.

Last edited by IceNine (2010-05-12 16:09:09)