Topic: Advice on where to start ...

Okay, so i ordered up the ebook ... it's great btw..

here is my situtation.

currently i am in a college town, with 40k+ students and tons of businesses, i have expereince both affiliate marketing and even had an internship advertising for a company fairly close to me

in my local network i really don't have anyone that knows a business owner. i'm looking for advice on who to target first

i'm probably going to cold call, i'm wondering that with your experience, what type of business should i target first?

Re: Advice on where to start ...

I've had great success with real estate agents and law firms but have worked with clients in a lot of different industries.  E-commerce CAN work but is sometime difficult with the smaller margins they work with. Service businesses where the owner is swamped with running their business and doesn't have time to get new clients generally work really well.  Chad would be the guy to ask about this.  He's got a great list of business types in the course.

Have you tried some of the businesses you use yourself?  If not checkout some meetup events with small business owners.  Try the chamber of commerce, small business assoc, or meetup.com.  These really are a goldmine of new clients.  Sometimes you can find twitter meetups for small business groups, I know I see those all the time in my area.  You can try cold calling also, but I would use that as a last resort.

leadsupplier wrote:

Okay, so i ordered up the ebook ... it's great btw..

here is my situtation.

currently i am in a college town, with 40k+ students and tons of businesses, i have expereince both affiliate marketing and even had an internship advertising for a company fairly close to me

in my local network i really don't have anyone that knows a business owner. i'm looking for advice on who to target first

i'm probably going to cold call, i'm wondering that with your experience, what type of business should i target first?

I like to say start with the kind of industry you're familiar with... for example, if you were a roofer at one time and you know
guys in the biz (owners), you could tread on more friendlier ground that way.

~ JIM